5.21.2008

Looking at Land

While I haven't posted for a while, I have looked at several pieces of land. One of them in particular has my attention because it is in the perfect location for me and my wife, and has a very low price tag. The cheap price is probably due to a substantial slope in the land down from the road. A real topographical study hasn't been done, but I sketched out some rough lines indicating the terrain:I know that building on a slope can provide some serious challenges, but I think it could provide some unique opportunities as well. I really like the feel of sloping terrain, and I think the fact that the general slope is down toward the south could be advantageous for the passive solar/earth sheltered design that I'm thinking about.

My concerns are that excavation cost would be high, and that the property feels like it is sloping in the bottom of a "valley" and might not receive as much sun as I desire. Here's a close up from Microsoft's Virtual Earth:


The lot is approx 1.75 acres, and is approved with perk tests complete.

Does anybody have precautions I should investigate regarding building on a steep slope, or selecting a piece of land in general?

2 comments:

Chris Stewart said...

Good to see you thinking about site. Now you see how it can inform the design.

jon said...

Yeah absolutely!

It's also been really helpful in looking for land to have some ideas in mind to superimpose on the landscape as I walk the site, even if they will have to be entirely rethought.