4.18.2008

Sloping the roof - part 2

Determined that shape must make a difference, I mulled over the roof styles further, and I'm very intrigued with this one:

Here are my reasons:

Simplicity
The entire roof is a single face, which will make construction simple and inexpensive, maintenance rare, and runoff very manageable.

The Sun
This design favors one large wall over the other three, just as the sun shines from one cardinal direction more than the other three. This coincidence could be used to maximize solar gain, while minimizing cold and breezy north facing surfaces. By filling the large side with windows, the sloping eaves would welcome all of the winter sun while shading the home from the summer sun.

Large outer wall
Typical roofs leave the greatest height in the house along the middle. This roof puts that height along an outer wall allowing the height to be used by dramatic windows (like mentioned above.) Ceiling height is only really impressive when it is drawn attention to.

Yes, all this attention on one wall does leave its short counterpart without much to offer, but certain rooms don't require tall ceilings, hot sunlight and good views, like bathrooms and storage


What do you think? No, it's not much to look at yet, but remember we are still just theorizing.

3 comments:

Stew said...

I have been focused on this roof type as well. I am also thinking of keeping the slope on the low side to incorporate a green roof-- though I am still mulling that one. I am definitely not a "greenie" for the sake of it nor for the goal of reducing my carbon foot print-- my focus is saving money, both in terms of construction costs and long term cost of ownership. On the one hand I like the height on the south side to add some "drama" to the design in that there is some interst in aesthetics on my part, but also dont like the idea of the dead air/volume to be conditioned in the area at the top of the south side. With any decent slope and depth to the floor plan, that height increases pretty quickly. I have been thinking of an off-set gable roof lately with the ridge line perpendicular to the south face and south facing clerestory windows between the two slopes to provide light to the north portion of the dwelling and to provide ventillation (exhaust of warm air in summer). Addtionally, the eave on the south side must be extended further with the basic shed roof if you want the south facing glazing shaded by it in summer.

jon said...

I'm thinking those same thoughts, and have not found one that fully satisfies, since there seems to be wasted space in each design.

In your offset gable plan, you must mean that the ridge would be parallel to the south face? (in order to allow the clerestory windows to face south)

I kind of like the idea of a perpendicular ridge and open rafters still allowing for the tall dramatic window on the south side.

In either case, since slope has very substantial interior ramifications, it seems worthwhile to minimize the angle and possibly use metal roofing. (which has strong long term cost of ownership value anyway)

Stew said...

Yeah, that would be ridge parallel to the south face- heh, I had a 50/50 chance. I was thinking about your mention of the height of the north wall and putting rooms like bathroom there etc. I'm gonna send you back to building codes on that one- there may be a minimum height requirement-- in my area, that's 8 feet, so that is my minimum starting point on that wall. I make my living doing inspections of commercial structures and deal with many building departments-- one thing I have learned over the years is if you are going to design a dwelling that strays from conventional practices, you would do well do get a copy of the code for the area you intend to build early in the process-- and that reminds me, to the extent you have flexibility in selecting the site- looking at code requirements as one of the selection criteria is not a bad idea, you may find that a particular township will allow setting a mobile home on a lot while building the main home for example- which is one of my criteria.